Mold Testing Services

Mold testing is a must if you want to avoid a nasty surprise in your home. But what exactly is mold testing, and how do you know if you need it? We’re here to give you the scoop on all things mold testing, so you can make an informed decision about whether or not to test for mold in your home.


Why test for mold?


Mold is a type of fungi that is found both indoors and outdoors. Mold can enter your home through open doors, windows, vents, and heating and air conditioning systems. Mold can also be carried into your home on clothing, shoes, bags, pets, and by people who already have mold growing in their homes.

Mold spores are tiny and can float in the air. When they land on a wet or damp surface, they may start to grow. Mold grows best in warm, damp, and humid conditions.

Molds produce allergens (substances that can cause allergic reactions), irritants, and sometimes toxic substances (mycotoxins). Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive people. Allergic reactions to mold include hay fever-type symptoms such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash (dermatitis). Allergic reactions to mold are common. They can be immediate or delayed. Molds can also cause asthma attacks in people with asthma who are allergic to mold. In addition, people with a weak immune system may develop fungal infections in their lungs when exposed to mold spores.


When to test for mold?


Mold testing should be performed when there is visible mold growth, and when mold is suspected but not visible. Mold testing can also be used to determine if a building has been contaminated with mold, and to identify the type of mold present.

Mold testing is not typically performed as a routine part of a home inspection, but can be performed at the request of the buyer or seller.


How to test for mold?


Mold testing is the best way to find out if you have a mold problem. Mold testing can be performed by a professional mold testing service or you can do it yourself.

When you hire a professional mold testing service, they will come to your home or office and take samples of the air and surfaces. They will then send the samples to a lab for analysis. The results of the mold test will tell you what types of mold are present and how much of it is present.

If you decide to do mold testing yourself, there are many do-it-yourself kits available. These kits usually involve taking a swab of the area where you suspect mold growth and putting it on a plate with some food for the mold to grow on. After a few days, the plate is examined for signs of mold growth.

Mold testing is important because it can help you identify a problem early so that you can take steps to remove the mold and prevent it from coming back.


Types of mold testing


Mold testing can be performed to identify the type of mold present in a sample. The two main types of mold testing are air sampling and surface sampling.

Air sampling is the most common type of mold testing. Air samples are taken with a device called an air sampler, which draws in air and collects mold spores on a sticky surface or in a liquid. The air samples are then sent to a laboratory for analysis.

Surface sampling is less common than air sampling, but it can be used to identify the type of mold present on surfaces like walls, floors, or ceilings. Surface samples are collected with a swab or piece of tape and then sent to a laboratory for analysis.


Benefits of mold testing


Mold testing can be beneficial in a few different ways. For one, if you are trying to sell your home, potential buyers may be more likely to make an offer if they know that the property has been tested for mold and that it is safe. Additionally, if you are concerned about the possibility of mold in your home (perhaps because you have noticed musty odors or have seen visible mold growth), mold testing can give you peace of mind by identifying the presence or absence of mold.


Risks of mold testing


Although mold testing can be helpful in determining the presence of mold in a home or business, it is important to remember that mold testing has its own set of risks. The most common risks associated with mold testing include:

-Allergic reactions: Some people are allergic to mold and can have serious reactions when exposed to it. If you are allergic to mold, you should avoid having mold testing done in your home or office.

-Inaccurate results: Mold testing is not an exact science and it is possible for results to be inaccurate. This means that you could end up spending money on unnecessary repairs or treatments if the test results are not accurate.

-Damage to property: Mold testing can sometimes cause damage to the property being tested. This damage could be in the form of holes being drilled in walls or floors, or it could be more serious, such as water damage from leaky pipes.

-Expense: Mold testing can be expensive, especially if multiple tests are needed.


How to interpret mold test results


Mold testing is vital for many reasons. Mold can cause serious respiratory problems, and it can also cause damage to your home. Mold testing can help you determine if you have a problem with mold, and it can also help you find the source of the mold.

There are two types of mold testing: air sampling and surface sampling. Air sampling tests for airborne mold spores, while surface sampling tests for mold that is growing on surfaces. Surface sampling is more accurate than air sampling, but it is also more expensive.

Mold test results are reported in terms of spore counts per square foot. The average indoor spore count is 10-50 spores per square foot, and the average outdoor spore count is 20-60 spores per square foot. A mold count of 50 or more spores per square foot indicates a problem that needs to be addressed.

If you have a high mold count, you will need to take steps to eliminate the source of the mold (usually moisture) and then remove the mold itself. You may be able to do this yourself with bleach and a stiff brush, but you may also need to hire a professional.


What to do if mold is found


If mold is found, the first step is to identify the source of moisture that is causing the mold growth. Once the source of moisture has been identified and fixed, the moldy area should be cleaned and dried completely as soon as possible. Depending on the size of the moldy area, cleaning and drying can be done by the homeowner or a professional Mold Removal Service.

If the moldy area is more than 10 square feet, it is best to hire a professional Mold Removal Service to do the job. Professional Mold Removal Services have the experience and equipment necessary to safely and effectively clean and dry large moldy areas.

If you have a small mold problem (less than 10 square feet), you can usually handle the cleanup and drying yourself. However, if you have any health concerns or you are not sure how to safely clean and dry the area, it is best to hire a professional Mold Removal Service.